Wondering how to properly set up a tow hitch? Have you never towed anything before? Unsure of how much is too much when towing? These are all great questions and concerns. Rochester Hills of Chrysler, Jeep in Rochester Hills, MI has compiled a few towing tips to make sure you safely set up a tow for yourself and others.
First and foremost check your owners manual to find exact towing capabilities. The manual may consist of some acronyms, such as GVWR, GCWR, or GAWR. About.com has an informative page that explains what all of these acronyms and other towing terms mean.If you are unsure where to find the information or are not positive, call your local Rochester Hills Chrysler Jeep dealership at (888)435-3039.
Next, check and look over all of your towing parts including the hitch and trailer to make sure nothing is rusty or out of shape. Once these are looked over, secure what you are towing. Make sure to drive about half the speed you normally do- remembering it takes extra time, space and power to stop, turn and change lanes.
Jeep has plenty of towing and hauling vehicles for your best tow that produce maximum towing fuel efficiency:
- Jeep Compass: towing capabilities of up to 2,000 pounds
- Jeep Cherokee: towing capabilities of up to 4,500 pounds
- Jeep Patriot: towing capabilities of up to 2,000 pounds
- Jeep Wrangler: towing capabilities of up to 4,200 pounds
- *Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: towing capabilities of up to 3,500 pounds (Best-in-Class Towing)
- *Jeep Grand Cherokee: towing capabilities of up to 7,400 pounds (Best-in-Class Towing)
These Jeep vehicles can tow anything from small trailers, motor cycles, boats, snowmobiles to large camping trailers and extra-heavy-duty. Look up towing state laws to make sure you are not breaking or violating any.